Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Books and Reading Going Extinct?!

I certainly agree that people are becoming less interested in reading when its readily available on the internet summarized and paraphrased so you don't even have to read a text book or reading assignment. For those casual readers, I would hope that people would still write books. I enjoy a good book, I especially love reading David Eddings' books. I would be disheartened if literary books became unknown in my generation. I do learn by watching and listening, but I also learn by reading. I have to have both usually. I believe that listening, watching and reading are all very important and should all take place in a classroom. Texts offer ideas that may not come to the top of an educators mind and may lend more incite than what is offered in the classroom. To those students who don't read a lot and watch and listen, that's something that needs to be refined and adjusted. Maybe its because in their experience reading was hard to accomplish because of disability or just never having the correct education to learn how to read effectively. I always loathed reading assigned reading, but out of class and picking what I want, I love reading. Probably why I do better writing reports on what I want rather than what a teacher has assigned or a list I had to choose from that I didn't find anything interesting on. Reading is an incite into other worlds of images, immagination, thought processes and knowledge. We should embrace it, not let it fall through the cracks of technology.

No comments: